Sunday, February 15, 2009

Lemon sorbet

My new obsession with aioli has left me with an excess of egg whites that couldn't go to waste.
Neither Aldrum nor I are particularly keen on meringues, so I needed another idea and the recent heat has led me to crave something cool and refreshing.

I didn't think you could make any decent sort of ice cream without an ice-cream maker, but that's simply not true. Lemon sorbet is easy to make and the result is tangy, refreshing and has a soft, cloud-like texture, without being hard or icy.



To be honest, I didn't even use a recipe for this, I just made it up - it's that easy. Here's what I did:

Lemon sorbet
2 egg whites (at room temperature)
1/2 cup of sugar
juice and rind of 1 lemon

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, a little at a time until the mixture is thick and glossy. Add the lemon juice and rind. The lemon rind here is optional - it won't be fully incorporated into the sorbet, so if you don't like bits, leave it out. It does add an extra tang though.

Put mixture in sealed plastic tub in the freezer. After half an hour, take it out and beat it again. Then after another hour, do the same. Finally, allow it to freeze fully.
Scoop out and serve.

From the garden: eggs, lemons

No comments:

Post a Comment